I’ve always wanted to put together a Miyako from Digimon Adventure 02 cosplay but, whenever I started putting things together, I quit as soon as I remembered the aviator cap, well last month, I finally decided to stop giving up, because Miyako wouldn’t!
So how do we create this perfect-o cosplay?
How to cosplay as Miyako from Digimon Adventure 02
Miyako’s Digital World outfit is one that I have always felt was pretty cool, the hat is super cool and the overall look just screams ‘ADVENTURE’ and ‘EXCITEMENT’. The 02 mechanic of ‘they get new outfits when they enter the Digital World’ is something I’m surprised never returned as a concept, probably because it makes no sense.
As always, let’s start with the optional extras – the items that are mainly props for photoshoots.
- Digivice: Bandai has only released two of these over the years; Japan’s release and the English release, but you can make your own or buy one on Etsy as mentioned for previous cosplays.
- Plush: I use a Hawkmon bean bag plush
- Contacts: Still a no for me, but if you want to wear them, go nuts.
List for a Miyako from Digimon Adventure 02 cosplay
- Long red pants: eBay or any clothing store, not hard to find on eBay. ~$5AUD
- Glasses: Thankfully I wear glasses, so I just use my prescription ones for this. I’m sure you could find something on eBay or at a costume or party supply store though.
- Long sleeved lilac shirt: I bought a pretty perfect-o one off eBay, but it’s not a hard thing to find in store ~$5AUD
- White gloves: I recommend getting some ones you can use your phone with, you can find them on eBay easily – they’re called texting gloves. ~2AUD
- Brown Vest: eBay is your friend, though this one was surprisingly hard to find something that was perfect in colour and shape, and wasn’t too expensive. ~10AUD
- Green Messenger Bag/Satchel: I bought this on eBay, but I’m sure there’s an outdoors-y store that stocks something similar. ~10AUD
- Shoes: Green boots, attach some white material to the front ~20AUD
- Wig: eBay, party store, whatever. I actually got the same wig as I used for Eri, just in a different colour. ~15AUD
- Aviator Helmet/Cap: Man this was the hardest part to get and most certainly the most expensive, I found something almost usable for the cosplay on eBay after a pretty extensive search. I’m sure you could make one that is absolutely perfect-o, but this was easy and close enough. ~35AUD
All in all, how much is it? Around $100. Cheap and easy, but how does it look? I was actually surprised – it actually looks like Miyako!
Let me know if you have your own Miyako from Digimon Adventure 02 cosplay (from any season works too), or, even if you went for a more expensive option – I’d love to see it!
What other characters would you like to see a cheap and easy cosplay of? Please let me know in the comments and maybe you’ll inspire me to create something new or bring out an older cosplay I already have. I’m actually building one at the moment – can you guess?
You can help out the podcast and blog in the following ways:
- Donate via our PayPal
- Nabbing something cool from our Redbubble
- Our Patreon (if you’d like to make more than just a one-off donation)!
- May’s ko-fi account!
- By spreading the word!
And thank you to our supporters on Patreon; Joe, AnimeGuy, Steven Reeves, Kaida Washi, Chisai, Kyle, Tom, Lizmet, Nicholas, Sam, Spiral, Keith, Magnus, Heemi, Alex, and Luke!
Be sure to check us out on our various social media accounts: